To be honest, I even used one of these to boil eggs when I was a kid. You can still buy some cool ones here>>>
Since then, the egg timers have improved a lot. Modern gadgets allow so much better and accurate egg timing than ever before.
From heat sensitivity to color changing to ones that take into account the size of the egg and can even pierce the raw eggshell before hard-boiling.
In this post, I will review the two most popular egg timers that look and function completely differently but have the same purpose: to make a perfect boiled egg every time.
KitchenCraft Heat-Sensitive Colour-Changing Egg Timer
To boil an egg. How hard could it be? Yes, it’s a skill, but it’s also an art form, and like many other artistic expressions, timing is key.
The difference between dry, grey yolks and creamy ones is timing, and a few minutes make all the distinction. If you’re committed to mastering the hard-boiled egg, here’s my first recommendation.
TAP ON IMAGE TO VIEW PRICE
It is very cheap, small, and simple, this easy-to-use boil-in-the-pan egg timer is designed to cook soft, medium, and hard-boiled eggs.
Shaped like an egg, it is made out of heat-sensitive material that will change color when mimicking the egg’s hardening while boiling in the water. Indicator marks on the timer will show clearly and accurately the doneness level of the eggs.
How Do Colour Changing Egg Timers Work?
- Place eggs and the color-changing timer facing up in a single layer at the bottom of the pot.
- Pour water into the pot so that the eggs and the timer are covered with water by one inch.
- Bring water to boil and then leave it to boil over medium heat.
- Check the timer for the desired doneness level.
- Carefully remove the eggs from the boiling water and place them into ice-cold water for a few minutes to stop the cooking process and shock for easy peeling.
- Rinse the time under clean water.
This innovative heat-sensitive egg timer will help you to cook perfect soft, medium, and hard-boiled eggs.
Is This The Perfect Timer For Boiled Eggs?
1. Simple and easy to use. The timer can be used by kitchen novices and experts alike who need to keep track of the eggs on the boil.
2. Easy to read. The egg timer has a very simple system to see when and how much the eggs have cooked.
3. No set-up required, just place it in the water. No batteries or plugin needed to make it work. It’s heat-sensitive, so just throw it in with your normal eggs.
4. Acts just like an egg. The color-changing aspect doesn’t show time cooked or time left to cook, but instead, the color-changing is for temperature, allowing you to see just how much the egg is cooked.
5. Cheap and effective. Such a low price means you aren’t breaking the bank for a capable egg timer that works just as well as the expensive egg timers.
1. Easy to break. Sometimes the egg timer will succumb to the heat of the water and/or continuous usage, which will cause it to break and no longer be effective.
2. Doesn’t take into account all types of eggs. The egg timer doesn’t have any details or specifications about what eggs you are using, for example, you may be using a larger egg than the size of the egg timer, which would take longer to cook than the average-sized egg.
3. It can give off bad smells. Although the item is made of food-safe polyresin, it can sometimes produce a quite pungent burning smell.
4. Water damage can occur. Although unlikely water damage can break the product, for instance, there are cuts on the surface of the product, it can allow water to seep in and stop the product from working again.
Good Grips Punctual Piercer Egg Timer
Cooking eggs is also about science and both, someone has committed more than a few sleepless nights to figure out the best way to cook them and invented this cool gadget below.
TAP ON IMAGE TO VIEW PRICE
Good Grips Punctual Egg Timer is completely different from the one above; however, it serves the same purpose. It will help you to make perfect and consistent eggs.
Settings include 7 doneness levels and a built-in piercer to prevent cracking when the egg is placed in hot water and makes peeling the eggs a lot easier when done. It is a small and modern-looking kitchen gadget that also comes with a progress bar for really accurate timing.
How To Use OXO Punctual Timer?
- Select your egg size on the side of the timer.
- Slide to open and choose the desired doneness level.
- Press the egg down on the yellow center to pierce it.
- Put the egg in the boiling water and press the start button.
- When the timer notifies you that eggs are ready, remove them from the saucepan and place them in the ice-cold water for a few minutes.
Pros And Cons For This Popular Egg Tool
1. Built-in piercer. The item includes a built-in piercer that allows the user to place an egg, after it has been boiled, on the very top of the device, so it is easy to peel off the shell.2. Seven choices of cooking levels. There are many options the user can choose from, so the egg is to their liking. This is change via a disc that you can twist at the top of the device.
3. Different scales for different-sized eggs. On the device, you can also select the size of the eggs that you are cooking; this way, the timer can perfectly cook the egg no matter the size of the egg.
4. LED displayed timer. The side of the device features LED lights that indicate the timer, these will flash down the line until they remain on completely, which means the timer is finished and the egg is cooked.
5. Easy to use and read. The device is incredibly easy to use and get set up, just select the size of the egg and then start the timer. The built-in LEDs and alarm will let you know when the eggs are done.
1. The LED display can stop working. The LEDs on the device can become faulty and stop working, which makes the product useless as the timer indicator can no longer be seen by the user.
2. Hard to clean if the piercer is used beforehand. The piercer can also be used before the eggs are boiled to make for a faster boiling process, although this can make the eggs leak over the device and into the small hole that the piercer retracts into, which is hard to clean.
3. Hard to guess the size of your egg. If you don’t already know the size of your egg, then you have to guess what option to pick on the timer, which can ruin your egg if incorrect.
4. Require batteries. Due to the timer being electronic, the power source is needed. The device takes two triple-A batteries, which can run out during the use of the timer and need replacing.
You may think that your smartphone renders kitchen gadgets such as egg timers a little bit irrelevant.
For those who don’t want their nice new phone ending up in the boiling pot of water or covered with greasy fingerprints or for those who do not even own a mobile phone altogether, an accurate, quality standalone egg timer is helpful to purchase.
Check out more choices and what other people who have bought these egg timers have to say here>>>
Comment below which one of these timers you liked the best, or if you have any experience in using these gadgets, whether good or bad, let us know in the comments.