Your air fryer doesn’t have to be used just make French fries or chicken nuggets! You can use this small countertop convection oven to make all sorts of delicious recipes, including baked goods like this fluffy artisan bread with a nice crisp crust.
This delicious homemade air fryer bread requires only 4 simple ingredients. Even without any baking experience, this no-knead, soft, and crusty artisan bread is easy to make. It is a perfect foolproof beginner recipe.
Don’t believe me? Just watch me making this no-knead bread from scratch below.
How To Make This Crusty Artisan Bread In An Air Fryer
In this video below, I am going to show you how to make soft and crusty artisan bread in an air fryer. It’s perfect for when you want a small and fresh homemade loaf.
- Two cups of plain all-purpose flour
- One tbsp of active dry yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (200 ml) of lukewarm water
One tbs of sesame seed to sprinkle on top (optional).
Top Tip: Using toppings like grains, seeds, herbs, nuts, or salt gives your loaf added flavor and a decorative, rustic appearance.
Here are some popular loaf toppings:
- Caraway seeds
- Rolled oat
- Garlic flakes
- Onion flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Combine the all-purpose flour, active dry yeast, and pinch of salt in a mixing bowl, making sure they are thoroughly mixed.
- Add the lukewarm water gradually, stir it into a smooth and lump-free dough. Kneading the dough for this air fryer bread is not necessary, so simply stir until it forms a cohesive dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, set the bowl in a warm place, and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Lightly oil the baking dish for your air fryer.
- Gently transfer the bread dough into the baking dish, and sprinkle the top with flour. If desired, you can add some sesame seeds or other toppings to the bread at this point.
- Place the baking dish inside the air fryer, but don’t turn it on yet. Allow the bread to rise again, about 30 minutes. It should almost double in size.
- Turn the air fryer to 380°F (193°C) and fry/bake the bread for 25-30 minutes.
- Once ready, the loaf should have a beautiful golden crust and spring back when pressed.
- Allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn the bread out onto a cutting board, and use a sharp bread knife to cut the bread into slices, or allow it to cool completely and then wrap the bread in plastic wrap to store.
Tips And Troubleshooting For Making Bread In An Air Fryer
Crust Is Too Brown
If the crust begins to get too dark, try lowering the temperature by a few degrees. Because the air fryer cooks much faster than the regular oven, you may need to adjust the time as well, especially when the original recipe was meant for the traditional oven.
How To Tell If Bread Is Done Without Thermometer?
To tell if the loaf of bread is done on the inside, flip it gently out of the pan onto a clean kitchen towel or plate. Gently tap the bottom of the loaf. It should have a hollow sound and not feel gummy or doughy.
How To Make Bread Crispy And Golden Brown In The Air Fryer?
If you like the thicker and more crispy crust, brush the top of the dough with oil before baking. The oil will help the top turn golden and extra crisp.
To get a more richly colored, shiny glaze, brush the loaf with an egg and milk mixture before baking.
How To Store Homemade Air Fryer Bread?
To store a loaf of air fryer bread, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. It will keep on the counter for 3-4 days. Alternatively, keep the bread from molding, wrap in a couple of layers of plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and freeze, keeping it for no more than 4 months.
Homemade bread stays fresh the best if you only cut slices as needed, rather than slicing the entire loaf ahead of time. Store it wrapped in plastic wrap and cut slices as required.
Be Prepared To Adjust The Baking Time And Temperature
Round baking dishes might be the best fit for the air fryer basket, but you can also buy small loaf pans that will fit into an air fryer. Keep in mind, you will need to adjust the cooking time to suit the smaller loaf sizes.
The air fryer has its advantages for baking bread over an oven, and the main benefit is time. Because the loaves for an air fryer are typically smaller than a conventional oven. They will cook faster and thoroughly without being doughy in the center.
Because of the circulating hot air, bread loaf will develop a nice crispy, golden brown exterior. However, the crust may cook too quickly in the air fryer. Adjust the time as needed to keep the crust golden brown and not burnt or blackened.
Expect A Smaller Loaf
Baking bread in an air fryer has its limits. Because of the small basket size, the loaves will be much smaller than you can cook in a conventional oven. So, use recipes that are scaled down for the air fryer or bake in batches or make bread rolls instead.
If you try to cook a loaf that is too large, it could rise beyond the capacity of the air fryer, causing a burned crust and quite a mess.
Read More Here: How To Bake With An Air Fryer? (A First-Timer’s Guide).
Other Succulent Air Fryer Baking Recipes
The air fryer has been around for some time now, but some people still don’t know the wide range of recipes this small kitchen appliance can master.
You can make other types of bread and baked goods in the air fryer. Try out these delicious air fryer baking recipes below.
Air Fryer Chocolate Brownie
Baking chocolate brownies in an air fryer may seem like a strange idea, but it’s actually a great way to serve up your favorite dessert without the hassle of using an oven. Making them is just as easy as the Artisan Bread recipe. These brownies come out crispy, chewy, and absolutely delicious!
Check It Out Here: How To Make Easy Air Fryer Brownies (SO Chewy And Fudgy)
Air Fryer Banana Bread
If you’re looking for a new twist on making banana bread, here’s one that will save you both time and clean up! Use your air fryer for baking this moist and scrumptious loaf of goodness!
Check It Out Here: How To Bake Air Fryer Banana Bread (Soft, Moist, And Crumbly)
I hope you found this recipe useful. Making bread in the air fryer is quick and easy, the crust turns out perfectly crispy while the inside of the bread turns out light and fluffy. What are you waiting for? Go make some artisan bread!